Dental crowns are also called as capping. It restores the damaged or broken or chipped teeth. This gives your teeth a new look by protecting them from damage and also covers the discolored teeth.
Uses of dental crowns:
- Crowns are used in place of damaged or chipped teeth.
- Used to cover the shaded teeth.
- They are also used to cover dental implants and during the making of cosmetic modifications.
- They are used for children to protect their teeth from tooth decay and other dental problems.
Types of crowns and materials used in the preparation of crowns:
Different crowns are available today which are made up of various materials, some of them are mentioned below:
- All-porcelain or all-ceramic: These crowns give natural color to the teeth than other crowns and matches with the adjacent teeth easily. People having metal allergies can make use of this crown. They are mostly used to cover the front teeth. Even though it comes in natural color it is not much strong as the porcelain-fused-to-metal.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal: They are the best choice for front and back teeth, and appear just like normal teeth. They are made up of porcelain and metal.
- All-metals: This is a good choice for those who don’t have any metallic allergies. It helps in chewing easily as they are made of metal. But the main draw-back with this is it’s metallic color. These crowns last for long time.
When compared to the above crowns, ceramic crowns are the best, as they give natural color to your teeth and look like normal teeth.
During the treatment process the patient will have to visit the dentist when ever required to have a permanent crowing for the teeth.
- At first the dentist will check the teeth take the impression of the teeth, numb the teeth, shape the teeth and finally place a temporary crown for the teeth. All this is done in the first visit.
- During the second visit the dentist will place the permanent crowns that are prepared by him and the process is completed.
This is how crowning is done. After the treatment the patient must take proper care and visit the dentist regularly and follow precautions suggested by the dentist.