Vitamins and minerals play an important role in oral health. If your diet has proper amount of nutrients, then you will have a good oral health. Deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals can cause bacterial infection in mouth that can further lead to serious oral health conditions. To avoid this, you should consider taking vitamins and minerals that are needed for good oral health.
Vitamins and minerals that help in preventing dental emergencies
- Vitamin B complex: It helps in fighting gum diseases and converts food into energy and forms red blood cells. Vitamin B deficiency weakens the teeth and gums, and this leads to gingivitis (early stage of gum disease). Vitamin B complex is mainly found in cereals, lentils, green leafy vegetables, dried beans, etc.
- Vitamin C: Deficiency of vitamin C can make your gums more prone to infections and gum diseases. If you are suffering from periodontal disease (advanced stage of gum disease), deficiency of vitamin C can increase bleeding and swelling. Oranges, guavas, red sweet peppers, etc., are some of the foods that have a high amount of vitamin C.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D helps in strengthening immunity against gum diseases and helps in absorbing calcium. Calcium is a mineral that is essential for building strong bones and teeth. Sunlight is a good source of vitamin D, and the foods that are rich in vitamin D are tuna fish, eggs, beef, cod liver oil, etc.
- Calcium: Calcium is required to keep the bones and teeth healthy and in good shape. If the intake of calcium is low, it tends to get reabsorbed in the blood and if the intake levels are higher, it puts back into bones and teeth. Vitamin D regulates this entire mechanism. This is the reason it is important. People who have low intake of calcium are more prone to severe gum disease. Children also need calcium for proper development of teeth. Dairy products like milk, cheese, curd, etc., are good sources of calcium.
- Phosphorous: Phosphorous also plays an important role in making the bones and teeth strong. Phosphorous is complimented by vitamin D for boosting its effectiveness. Phosphorous is found in flax seeds, sesame seeds, nuts, etc.
For better results, it is important for you to include the above mentioned vitamins and minerals in your daily diet to prevent dental emergencies and costly dental restoration. To know the recommended daily allowable amount of vitamins and minerals consult your doctor.