Florida is the citrus capital of the world as there is an abundance of oranges and grape fruit throughout the year. It is, therefore, called the ‘Orange State’. Some unique and delicious food are also prepared in Florida.
Some famous fruits of Florida
- Oranges: Oranges make a major part of Florida’s fruit economy. Oranges are available throughout the year. Orange juice is the beverage of this state and orange blossom is the flower of the state.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit is a common crop in winter until early summer. This is mostly served at breakfast. It is halved and served with honey or sugar topping. Not only this, there are many other ways to prepare it.
- Carambola or Starfruit: This is a berry type yellow color fruit, and grows on shrubs and has a length about of 11-12 cm. It has five sharp ribs. This fruit is a rich source of vitamin C and vitamin B.
- Mangoes: In Florida, mangoes come in many colors, shapes and sizes. From giant green mangoes to small golden mangoes. The most common ones are Tommy Atkins that have reddish skin. It is better to look for the fruit that has fragrance and also feels heavy.
- Avocado: This is a tropical fruit in pear shape and is very nutritious for skin and body. It contains a natural fat that can lower bad cholesterol level in the blood. Avocados are highly rich in Vitamin A, B and E and hence used in many skin care products.
Food delicacies of Florida
- Key Lime Pie: This is the official pie of Florida. Key Lime Pie is prepared from lime juice, condensed milk and egg yolk. These ingredients are whipped and cooked in a pie crust. It is then topped with meringue that is prepared from the egg whites. The real Key Lime Pie of Florida is yellow in color as the juice of lime is yellow and also the inclusion of egg yolks.
- Stone Crabs: These are harvested from October to May. It is the meat of crab’s claw. Fishermen twist only one claw of the crabs and throw them back in water so that they can defend themselves and can grow another claw in the time period of 18 months. These claws are boiled or steamed and then cracked and served cold with the sauce.
- Conch Fritters: Conch is a shellfish or a snail that is very large that lives in the large shell. The meat of the conch is soaked in the lime juice and tenderized. One of the best way of cooking conch meat is making fritters. These are made with chopped onions, vegetables like hot peppers, sweet peppers and chopped meat of conch, and are then fried in small balls.