Simply installing an electric space heater does not ensure effective heat. It should be in a perfect functioning mode. However, for this, you need to follow certain safety tips.
- Ensure that you place an electric space heater in a right location. Avoid placing it near your bed or window treatments which may touch the heater and get fired. It is better to place it in a nice open space to avoid any accidents.
Place the heater on a flat surface and make sure that it does not tilt or fall down.
- Do not place the heater near moist places such as bathrooms as there are more chances of occurrence of shocking hazards due to corrosion of heater.
- Beware of the adequate power supply units and cords. It is better to avoid using of extension cord for the space heater. However, if the regular cord cannot reach the outlet, then make sure that you use a heavy duty cord made of 14 gauge wire or larger.
- Inspect the cords and plug regularly. Any damages found should be repaired immediately.
Make sure that you have guard to cover the heating element. This ensures safety to your kids and pets.
- Maintain proper ventilation in the room if you use convection space heaters. Though electric space heaters have no risk of catching fire, it is better to install a fire extinguisher.
- Avoid using a defective or old heater as it is more prone to accidents. Make sure that you replace it as early as possible.
Keep in mind these tips, and enjoy safe and efficient heat of your electric space heater.