Substance abuse also called as drug abuse is a process which involves excessive use of the substance which leads to significant problems or distress. Any substance whose ingestion can result in a euphoric feeling can be abused. The person abusing drugs neglects his responsibilities at school, work, or home. Weight changes or unusual eating patterns, change in normal sleep patterns, frequent infections or infections which don’t heal, memory lapses, frequent minor illnesses like headaches, nausea etc. are the physical signs and symptoms of a person who is abusing drugs. Anxiety, depression, mood swings and impaired judgment etc., are the psychological symptoms.
Here under are some tips to reduce the substance abuse among the individuals:
- First step to reduce the substance abuse is to break the ritualistic habits that promote substance abuse. Instead of abusing drugs, focus on strengthening your healthy personal relationships and become physically active.
- If you can’t control the substance abuse seek the help of substance abuse counselors who help not only to break the cycle of addiction, but also to offer suggestions for avoiding relapse after treatment.
- Prepare a list of benefits you can get by stopping the substance abuse and having this list helps you to establish your reasons for detoxing and reinforcing the positive changes you make.
- Reducing substance also saves money spent for buying the drugs and it also helps to develop healthy relationships among the family members.
- Reducing substance abuse allows you to operate freely rather that relying on chemicals to feel comfortable.
- Reducing your substance abuse can allow you to avoid the pitfalls of addiction.
Avoiding or preventing substance abuse is very much essential, as many people lives are effected negatively due to substance abuse.