A private investigator is the only person that helps you in solving different kinds of personal and organizational problems. It is therefore important for the investigator to have specific characteristics like determination, experience, logical thinking, good interactions and contacts with various people and so on. Among them the most important feature is good communication. The duty of the investigator mostly and always includes communication and interviewing many people in order to know certain clues and evidences helpful for the case. Here are some tips that help in improving the interviewing skills of an investigator.
- The first and foremost thing is to prepare for the interview beforehand.
- Planning the schedule for the interview is also important. It does not look good if you ask others to change their plan because of your improper planning. Schedule a time that is suitable for you and the interviewee. Arranging interviews early in the day can be helpful as well as peaceful.
- Make sure that you arrive on time for the interview. Do not give a chance for the interviewee to wait for long time. This may disturb the person which may affect the probable answers to be obtained.
- Prepare a list of questions to be asked in the interview. It is good to stick to those questions and avoid deviating from the issue. This can save the interview time. However, some unexpected questions may arise while interviewing. Make a note of those questions and all the answers given by the interviewee.
- Ensure that the reason for the interview is explained to the interviewee.
- Be friendly with the person at the same time you should be professional.
- End and leave the interview cordially. Thank the interviewee for providing his time to help you in solving the case.
These above tips really work for a private investigator. Though they seem simple, it is good to know and practice them in order to avoid any disturbances when interviewing.