Freelance translator is a person who undertakes work for translation agencies and localization companies. There are specialized translators for different fields like legal, financial, commercial or technical.
Following are some of the tips to become a successful freelance translator:
- First thing after completing your studies is to find employment at an all round translation firm and gain some experience as a translator.
- It is better to join a translation firm rather than becoming freelance translator straight away after your studies, because in translation firms you will be assisting a senior translator who revises your translations, monitors your progress, and makes you aware of your strengths and weaknesses.
- By joining a translation firm you can acquire skills required for you to become a successful freelance translator.
- If you can’t find a position in paid employment, look for posts as a trainee and these training posts helps you to gain practical experience in a commercial environment.
- After undergoing successful training and gaining needed skills in a translation firm for some period, you can now find your own clients and can work for them.
- You should move on to a part time contract so that you have enough time to recruit clients and work for them.
- Make sure to register as a self employed person with the relevant tax authorities and seek their suggestions, if necessary.
- Once you find enough work as a freelance translator, it is better to terminate your employment contract with the translation firm, so that you can focus more on the new business.