When planning for a kitchen remodeling, it is necessary to consider several things like countertops, cabinets, flooring and many others. While selecting the countertops, many people consider the type, color, quality and price of the different options available. However, it is also necessary to check for their maintenance during selection. Here are some tips for maintenance of common kitchen countertops.
- Ceramic tiles are the most commonly used kitchen countertops. They have to be wiped with a wet rag. However, abrasive materials should not be used as they damage the glaze of the tile. The grouts should be cleaned regularly with water, dish detergent and a soft brush.
- The maintenance of stainless steel countertops is very easy. They are to be cleaned with warm and soapy water. Remember that you should not use harsh cleaners. Make sure that you do not leave food sitting on the countertop unless it is on a plate. This is because, the stainless steel countertop gets stained by acidic foods.
- With efficient maintenance, granite countertops can last for longer time. They should be properly sealed during installation. It is good to reseal them once or twice in a year. Make sure that they are cleaned daily with warm, soapy water.
- Wooden countertops require more maintenance when compared to any other type. They are wiped with a wet rag. However, in order to prevent cracking, they should be sealed and oiled consistently. It has to be remembered that all types of varnishes are not appropriate for use on food preparation surfaces.
- Apart from the common wiping, the plastic laminates need little maintenance. However, it is not resistant to stains, heat and scratch. Therefore, you should be careful to make it durable for longer time.
These tips may be helpful for you to maintain your kitchen countertops. However, remember that you consider the maintenance required by different types when planning to remodel them.